We act for business owners, prospective purchasers, investors, private equity firms, boards of directors, management groups and lenders in any type of transaction involving the purchase and sale of a business. Our services and experience relate to all sizes of business, and span across many industries. We provide practical advice on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other significant corporate transactions for privately owned and publicly traded businesses.
We bring together the industry-specific experience of other lawyers in our firm who specialize in areas of law that are relevant to the transaction, including real property, labour and employment, securities, litigation, environmental, intellectual property and litigation matters.
We guide clients through all stages of a transaction, including:
- Analysis and creation of acquisition and ownership arrangements
- Analysis of transaction structures
- Negotiating and structuring financing arrangements
- Structuring loans and security
- Preparing a business for sale
- Conducting due diligence reviews
- Negotiating preliminary transaction documents, including confidentiality agreements and letters of intent
- Negotiating major transaction agreements, including share and asset purchase and sale agreements, escrow agreements, assignment agreements, non-compete agreements, non-solicit and other restrictive covenant agreements, earn-out agreements, earn-in agreements, consulting agreements, indemnity agreements, guarantees, and employment agreements
- Working with management on business and strategic issues
- Advising on regulatory filings
- Facilitating closing and transaction completion
- Participating in tax planning and post-acquisition planning and business integration