Michael is a senior commercial and insolvency lawyer whose forty years of practice have included many significant transactions and litigation assignments. He is the Chair of the firm's executive committee.
Michael is the Chair of the firm’s Executive Committee.
He has a wealth of experience from his broad banking law, insolvency, and commercial practice, including related litigation. Michael has acted as lead counsel in lending and insolvency matters originating in Saskatchewan, and in national transactions involving Saskatchewan parties or Saskatchewan assets. He regularly advises financing institutions with respect to lending and enforcement policies, and clients as to the structure of commercial transactions.
He has appeared before all levels of court in Saskatchewan, in the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench, in the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, and in the Supreme Court of Canada. He has testified as an expert witness in respect of a lawyer’s obligations under an escrow agreement.
The range of his practice is reflected by his ranking in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the areas of Asset Based Lending, Corporate Commercial Law, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring, and Litigation-Corporate Commercial.
Michael has been named by Best Lawyers Canada as “Lawyer of the Year- Regina” 10 times in the fields of Banking & Finance Law, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Law, and Banking & Finance Law.
Chambers and Partners has stated the following:
[he] is highly acclaimed for his commercial lending and insolvency practice. "He is practical, knowledgeable and well respected," noted one source, further highlighting that he is a "very strong lawyer, who knows the market inside-out."
He has also been recognized by Benchmark Litigation Canada and Who’s Who Legal: Canada. Michael is the Chair of the Law Reform Commission of Saskatchewan. He is a Past President of the Law Society of Saskatchewan, and was President of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada, which is the national coordinating body of Canada's 14 law societies, regulating 95,000 lawyers and 3,500 Quebec notaries.
- Saskatchewan, 1981
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Saskatchewan, 1980
- Who's Who Legal: Canada, Restructuring & Insolvency, 2023
- Named a Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, 2023
- Featured in Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A (2022-2023), Mining & Energy (2022), Energy (2023), and Litigation (2023)
- Chambers and Partners – Rated Band 1 – General Business Law, 2016-2022
- Named a Fellow of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, 2011
- Canadian Legal Expert Directory: Leading Practitioner in the areas of Banking, Corporate Commercial, Directors and Officers Liability, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring, and Litigation-Corporate Commercial and Insolvency Litigation, 2009-2021
- The Best Lawyers in Canada: Named in the categories of Asset Based Lending Practice, Banking and Finance Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law, Director and Officer Liability Practice, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Natural Resources Law, 2006-present
- Named in The International Who’s Who of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers, 2005-2019
- Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan) - 2022 Distinguished Service Award
- Appointed Honourary Member of the Law Society of Manitoba, 2002
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2001
- Appointed Honourary Member of the Law Society of Alberta, 2000
- Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Inc.: Outstanding Volunteer Award, 1995
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Award for Highest Standing in Bar Admission Course, 1981
- Canadian Bar Association (1981 - present)
- Member, Organizing Committee Annual Law Firm Leadership Conference, 2011- 2019
- Law Society of Saskatchewan (1981 - present)
- President, 2002
- Bencher, 1998 - 2003
- Regina Bar Association
- President, 1993
- Saskatchewan Provincial Court Council, Member, 2002
- Queen’s Bench Bar Judicial Council, Member, 2002
- Federation of Law Societies of Canada
- President, 2007- 2008
- Member of Council, 2003-2009
- Law Reform Commission of Saskatchewan
- Chair, 2014 – present
- Member, 2010 – present
- Canadian Lawyers Insurance Association
- Chair, 2012 - 2014
- Board Member, 2002 - 2014
- Member, Executive Committee, 2007 - present
- Saskatchewan Lawyers Insurance Association
- Board Member, 2000-present
- President, 2000-2001
- Editorial Board of Banking and Finance Law Review, Member, 1986 - present
- Editorial Board of Commercial Insolvency Reporter, Member, 1999 – present
- Federation of Law Societies Committee on Model Code of Conduct, Member, 2004 - 2009
- Canadian Legal Information Institute (“CanLII”), Member of Board and Executive Committee Member, 2004 - 2006
- Committee Member for review of applications for the first Director of Public Prosecutions in Canada, June, 2007
- Insolvency Institute of Canada, Secretary, 2011
- United Way of Regina, 1984 – 1997
- President, 1994-1996
- Vice-President, 1992-1994
- Chairman of Allocations Committee, 1990-1991
- Executive, 1990 – 1997
- Minor Hockey Coach, 1993 – 2001
- MacKenzie Art Gallery Incorporated
- Chair, 1999- 2001
- Vice Chair 1997 – 1999
- Trustee, Board of Trustees, 1995 – 2003