Energy Law includes all aspects of renewable and non-renewable energy from the original acquisition of the right to explore for the resource to the transport, sale and use of such resource. Energy Law is a specialized and highly regulated area of the law that is based on statutes, regulations, governmental policies and private contracts.
Mining Law may include resources from which energy may be derived, such as coal or uranium, but it may also include the extraction of other valuable mineral resources, such as potash, gold, silver, and nickel. Mining Law is also a highly regulated area of the law.
Both Energy Law and Mining Law often involve questions such as who owns the mineral resource, how can one obtain a right to explore for, extract and sell such mineral resource and the regulations related to the exploration, development, extraction, and sale of the resource. Both types of law also often include assisting companies to secure financing to acquire rights and develop new projects.
We offer services and advice in the following areas:
- Negotiating and structuring agreements to acquire the rights to test, explore for, develop, extract and sell the mineral resource in question
- Acquiring the right to explore for and develop mineral resources owned by the Saskatchewan Crown and complying with regulations related to such rights;
- Registration of rights in the Saskatchewan Land Registry, the Saskatchewan Personal Property Registry and the various registry systems maintained by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Energy and Resources;
- Purchase or sale of mineral rights, surface access rights, mineral titles, wells, facilities, pipelines, and other related assets;
- Advising, negotiating, and litigating disputes involving legislative and regulatory matters and contractual, royalty, and ownership disputes;
- Conducting title reviews and due diligence searches;
- Negotiating and preparing surface lease and rights of access agreements
- Financing and Securitization;
- Environmental matters related to mineral rights; and
- Estate and Estate Planning related to minerals and the sale or granting of rights related to such minerals.