Corporate governance is the system of rules, practices, and processes by which stakeholders direct and control a corporation or other business enterprise. Proper corporate organization and governance is critical to business success. A key component is to limit liability from unacceptable risks. We provide legal and strategic advice on all corporate structure and governance matters, including regulatory compliance.
We build close relationships with our clients to understand their business, their industry and their aspirations. We work hard to ensure our clients’ corporate and other legal structures are fully compliant with their statutory and legal obligations.
Matters we can help you with include:
- the structure of your business including incorporation, partnerships, joint ventures, sole proprietorships, business names, amendment, amalgamation, continuance, and restoration;
- working with your accountant (CPA) on the set-up or re-structuring of your business;
- set-up and adoption of the system of rules, practices, and processes which govern your business;
- advising on the independence of and the duties, rights, and obligations of directors, officers, shareholders, and other management;
- board and committee structures, mandates, operations, processes and procedures;
- regulatory compliance and legislative changes;
- areas of potential liability, including director and officer liability, indemnity, fiduciary duties and insurance;
- implementing and completing all filings and reporting requirements to ensure compliance with legislation and regulations, including annual returns, and shareholder, director, and officer filings;
- extra-provincial registrations and powers of attorney services;
- creating, maintaining and updating minute books and corporate records in compliance with all regulatory and legislative requirements;
- requirements and procedures for annual general meetings (AGMs), proxies and information circulars;
- shareholder relationships and disputes, including shareholder agreements; and
- registrations with other professional organizations or governing bodies.